Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 1 check-in and a peek at my disorganized thoughts

Well. My first day is coming to a close. Right now I am debating the merits of aiming for slower change instead of trying to change a bunch of stuff at once. Some things went really well today and some things didn't.

The good:
didn't experience much 'true' hunger today
no afternoon headache, which has been plaguing me for several weeks
felt more mentally 'clear', though this could be related to my cycle

The bad:
ate way more fat than I was aiming for. I had planned my second snack to be 1/2 an apple and 2 oz of chicken. Instead of the chicken I ate 1.5 oz of macadamia nuts. =\
by the time the day is up I will have gone over my carb allowance by about 30 grams, and will be under my protein goal by about 20 grams.

So, I am not sure where to go from here. Part of me wants to just say, "well, at least I'm avoiding grains and dairy" but then I am upset with myself for missing my macronutrient goals.

I feel conflicted and confused, like perhaps I am still approaching things as a 'diet' that I will end up going off of rather than as a lifestyle change.

Here's what I think:
having small servings of carbs from fruit and veg throughout the day really helped keep my head clear, so I will stick with that.

eating the leaner meats and having most fats from nuts and olive oil helped my mental state, so I want to keep that.

eating a lot of lean protein helped keep me full.

eating more veggies is good for me!

I need to work on eating fewer nuts since they really threw me off my goals today.

I still want to try a full month off of grains and dairy.

So, based on those things, tomorrow I will:
stick with 12 grams of carbs per meal/snack from veggies and limited fruits
stick with my protein goals
have 1 oz or less of macadamia nuts
have no grains or dairy

Still have dinner to eat tonight, and I will probably have 1/2 a potato before bed =)

No comments:

Post a Comment