Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Broth, mayo and Day 3 check-in

I made broth on Sunday and yesterday I tried for the second time ever to make homemade mayonnaise.

Success on both counts!


The first time I attempted to make mayo I tried a recipe that included coconut oil. It kinda seized up and got weird and almost rubbery. Yuck.

For the second attempt I used a recipe that called for olive oil, walnut oil and/or flax seed oil. I used a combination of olive and walnut. It's delicious! I've never much of a fan of mayo, and even less so since I stopped eating soy. ALL mayo you can get in the regular grocery store is made with sub-par, probably rancid and chemically deodorized oils, usually soybean. Even the health food store stuff, like safflower mayo, just doesn't taste great. This was easy, and with the help of my food processor, in a couple minutes I had delicious, creamy, fresh tasting mayonnaise.

Well, I'm on day 3 of my eating plan. Yesterday and today I have been absolutely ravenous at different points during the day. Today I had a 7 ounce piece of chicken for lunch and a fair bit of asparagus in olive oil and lemon, and an hour later my stomach started to growl. Soon, I was so hungry I could hardly concentrate.

I think I'm craving fat. I am going to try not restricting my fat so much (haha, even though I eat a lot more fat than many 'dieters' do) and seeing if it helps my hunger. If not, I'll stick with moderate fat and try adding a small serving of sweet potato or regular potato at lunch and breakfast... maybe 2 ounces.

When I got home I had my planned 1/2 an apple and 2 (er, make that 3...) ounces of almond butter... the 'grind it yourself kind'. I am not 'full', but the hunger has calmed down significantly. Yummy fats.




Omega 3 mayonnaise (from The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility)


1 tbsp lemon juice
1 whole egg
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup flaxseed oil
1/3 cup walnut oil
(or any combination of these oils to equal 1 total cup of oil)

Put lemon juice, egg, and mustard into a blender or food processor. Blend for 5 seconds. With the blender or processor on low, slowly add oils in a thin stream. Blend until mayo is thick. Store in a sealed container for up to 7 days (I think this is pushing it... I'd try to use it by 5 days at most)

The mayo and broth may have been a success, but I seem to be striking out with meals this week. I think tonight was the biggest failure and I was so disappointed I had a bit of a breakdown. I've just been so hungry the last couple days and I was really looking forward to having some beef. The cut of beef I chose was uh... not the most tender cut, and I broiled it and it was just awful. Then the bok choy I made was not to my liking. I had half a potato instead. Overall, a huge disappointment.

I've noticed already, as I have previously when I cut out grains, that I seem to be way moodier and just bitchier than I usually am at this time of the month. I am still planning on sticking it out for 30 days if I can, but as I mentioned above I think I'll add small servings of potatoes back into my plan. When I do eat grains again, gluten free steel cut oats and whole grain rice will be the first on the list. I do really well with rice... I don't have a problem overeating it unless it's the white stuff, and I enjoy oatmeal. I've never noticed any bad reactions from these foods and sometimes I feel really great when I eat them. I think the key will be keeping my portions small.

With how I'm feeling right now I really want to give up. I'm majorly disappointed that it seems like no matter how I eat my body is not liking it. I'm bitchy and emotional right now, at a time of the month when I usually feel pretty good. I've been ravenous lately. But on the other hand I have felt more even at work (most of the time) and it feels like maybe my brain isn't quite as foggy as it has been.

For now I'm going to go ahead and stick with it. I'll keep posting about how I'm feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment