Saturday, January 16, 2010

More improvements, and paleo dieters come out of the woodwork -- finally.

Last night's Lemon halibut and sides. Amazing!


Every day I can feel my guts normalizing, and all the other uh... gut functions... seem to improving, too.

Most days my energy levels are pretty even. I attribute this to the fact that I'm not overeating carbs, but am spreading out a reasonable level of carbs throughout all meals.

I've stopped the potato at night, in favor of 2 to 3 ounces of sweet potato with lunch and dinner. So far, so good.

I was amazed and elated to see this post, by Richard Nikoley at Free the Animal, in which he bravely admits to experiencing some issues which he attributes to the paleo lifestyle.

When I tried (and failed) switching to paleo last April, and then my attempt with low carb, and most recently my third attempt at paleo, I searched high and low to find someone, anyone who was experiencing similar problems (thyroid downregulation, depression, digestion, etc). Almost everyone I encountered vehemently defended the lifestyle. No one would admit that maybe they had a little trouble adapting to it or, like me, couldn't last more than a couple weeks without experiencing a physical and mental meltdown. I knew there must be someone out there... maybe the were all hiding?

But diet has become a fair bit like radical religion. We faithfull follow the plan we want so desperately to believe in, and even if we experience problems along the way, once we make up our mind that it's the right way we are willing to die for it.

Maybe that's little dramatic, but there is truth to it. For many of us interested in nutrition and improving our health, Our Chosen Diet has become the golden calf.

Anyway, I generally find people who are nutrition oriented to be articulate and outspoken, and usually very well reasearched. Personally, I do a lot of research, understand the concepts, and know how to apply them, but lack in the communication, discussion, and debate part. Maybe there are other people out there like me, who have experienced problems transitioning to a paleo or low carb lifestyle but are afraid to speak out for fear of being squashed by the outspoken, articulate majority.




Look for next week's menu plan soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment