Sunday, February 28, 2010

The next step

Well, it's unanimous in my household. Back to no grains, no dairy.

I went out to breakfast with my husband yesterday and he mentioned that he felt better eating the 'way we were before', meaning that he felt like crap this week since we've been eating like crap. It's rare for him to really mention something like this, so that was my indication of what direction I need to move in.

And I totally agree with him. With the exception of some odd general malaise* I mentioned in the last post, I felt better without the grains and dairy. Even with the weekend treats and a little sugar here and there. The remarkable thing, though, is that when we eat well, my husband rarely if ever has to use his inhaler. Over the last week he's had some wheezing and stuffiness and has used it a lot more. I've had stuffiness, and a return of a little acne. This is not entirely surprising, since I've often heard that cutting out sugar and grains can improve asthma, but it's surprising that my husband noticed and mentioned it ;)

*regarding the 'general malaise', I am pretty sure as I previously mentioned that this is due to some change in my thyroid function. Since I was never clinically hypothyroid anyway, I'm going to try getting off my thyroid medication (I take Thyroid-s in lieu of Armour, since Forest Pharmaceuticals decided that they would change Armour into a placebo and my pharmacy decided they would stop dispensing it *rolls eyes*). I'm a little nervous about this prospect, since I experienced such an awesome improvement in my life when I started Armour a couple years ago. It literally changed my life and almost entirely rid me of depression. But, I've been having this nagging feeling lately that it's time to try going off it.

So, I've decided to try supplementing with iodine, specifically Iosol. It's also supposed to be great for PCOS. Looking at my diet, I realize I eat hardly any iodine containing foods, and I cut iodized salt out of my diet many years ago. I'm probably getting next to no iodine. I also have been feeling like my use of thyroid medication could be causing some side effects, such as elevated blood pressure. I wish my doctor was more on board with this aspect of my care, because I'd really like to get some labs run to see where my levels are at so I'd have some data to reinforce my suspicions. Perhaps I'll try making an appointment.

Rest assured, I will definitely be posting about my experiences with Iosol and weaning off my thyroid meds.

On a completely different subject I made another apple crisp tonight. No finished pictures yet but it's in the oven right now. It's not entirely paleo with 7 teaspoons of organic cane sugar and 1/4 cup of gluten free oats, but I felt it was a decent compromise. I also made ghee to put in the topping, since normal apple crisp calls for butter in the topping. I could've substituted coconut oil but I wanted to give the ghee-making a try. If you wanted to make this entirely paleo, you could always sub in more almond flour for the oats, use honey or apple juice for the sweetener, and use coconut oil in place of the ghee.

Almost Paleo Gluten Free Apple Crisp:

Filling:
4 apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp macadamia nut oil

Topping:
1 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup certified gluten free oats
1 heaping tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter, made into ghee (heat on stove until milk solids separate then skim them off and discard)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all filling ingredients and place in glass baking dish. Combine all dry ingredients for topping, then add wet ingredients. Mix until blended and slightly crumbly. Spoon over filling. Place in oven and bake for appx 45 mins, until apples are soft.


The milk solids I skimmed off the ghee. I tasted this out of curiosity and got quite a shock. I guess the majority of the salt from the butter remains in the milk portion... yuck.



The crisp before baking

No comments:

Post a Comment